Appalachian Regional Healthcare’s Behavioral Health internship program offers students the unique opportunity to get hands on experience. The internship will allow students to rotate through different behavioral health services and will provide students with insight into the patient’s experience. We encourage students to be open about their internship expectations and to tailor the content, length and hour requirements of the internship to meet their needs.
Our internships are offered during the fall, spring and summer semesters. Please review the information below regarding ARHS’s Behavioral Health Internship opportunities.
Internship Application Deadlines
- Fall Semester: May 1st (Response back to intern applicant by June 1st)
- Spring Semester: September 1st (Response back to intern applicant by October 1st)
- Summer Semester: February 1st (Response back to intern applicant by February 1st)
Types of Internships Available
Recreational Therapy Internship
The Recreational Therapy department will accept 1 student per semester to participate in an internship with the Adult Behavioral health unit at Cannon Memorial hospital. The internship opportunity will allow for hands on experience on the unit, as well as in the Emergency departments. Participants can be expected to come in contact with patients with many different diagnoses and although most experience will be with adults on the behavioral health unit, there are possibilities of interactions with adolescent and geriatric population in the emergency rooms. Internship length will be based on NCBRTL/NCTRC minimum expectations and can be extended to meet school expectations if needed. Participant hours will normally be Monday-Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm. Please complete full application and have submitted before deadlines to be considered for internship.
3 students accepted each semester for a 1-day per week practicum or 1 student 5 days per week
Undergraduate or Master’s Level Psychology, Counseling or Recreation Therapy
Nursing Interns for Inpatient Unit
2 nursing students per semester – 2 to 3 days per week
1 student in Psychology or Social Work
Time split between Boone and Linville Outpatient Clinics
How to Apply for an Internship with Behavioral Health
- Recreational Therapy Internship Application (0.2 MiB)
- Recreational Therapy Practicum Application (0.2 MiB)
If interested in an Internship with the Appalachian Regional Healthcare System’s Behavioral Health Division, please send completed internship application, along with the following to:
Sallie Woodring, Director
Volunteer Services/Career Pathways
Appalachian Regional Healthcare System
P.O. Box 2600
Boone, NC 28607
Documentation to support your application:
- A Letter of Interest stating the following:
- Why you want the internship and why you are the best choice for our organization
- How an internship with us will complement and enhance your career goals
- How you heard about our internship program
- Internship Application, with reference sheet
- A current, certified transcript
- Two reference letters
Learn more about student opportunities at Appalachian Regional Healthcare System.