ARHS offers several financial aid options to help you resolve your account balances. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, cash or checks. We offer 12-month interest-free payment plans and a Healthcare Credit Card for longer term loans. We also offer help identifying other programs, discounts, and services for which you may qualify.
We understand medical bills are often unplanned and can be difficult to understand or pay. ARHS has Patient Financial Advocates who are professionally trained to assist with your financial questions. The Financial Counseling Department is also available to help patients who may have difficulty repaying their medical debts.
Financial Assistance Options
- Set up a payment plan: 0% interest for 12-24 months, with approval
- Apply for a healthcare credit card: for long-term loans
- Apply for financial assistance: follow the steps below or contact us
- Government and community programs: our Patient Financial Advocates can assist you in determining if you might be eligible.
- Billing and Account Questions: Contact us here >
- Financial Counseling Office: (828) 262-4110
- Financial Counseling Customer Service: (828) 262-4111
- Patient Financial Advocates: (828) 262-4413
Financial Assistance Documents & Application
Financial Assistance is available to those patients who are in need of help to pay their account. Assistance is based on the guarantor’s financial status. The guarantor is the person who is responsible for paying the medical bill. In order to determine this, the guarantor will need to complete a Financial Assistance application that includes, but is not limited to, proof of income and assets.
How to receive financial assistance:
- Ask for a Patient Financial Advocate while you are a patient. You may also call (828) 262-4413 or (828) 262-4410, Monday-Friday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Complete a Financial Assistance Application.
- Download an application or pick one up at Watauga Medical Center, Cannon Memorial Hospital, or any of the offices of Appalachian Regional Medical Associates.
- Request an application be sent to you by mail. Call (828) 262-4110 or (828) 262-4111 or write to 155 Furman Road Suite 101, Boone, NC 28607.
- Return the application and all required documentation within the allotted time.
- ARHS will determine eligibility based on the application and supporting documents.
Do you qualify for Discounts & Programs?
I do not have insurance
- All uninsured patients will automatically receive a discount of 25% on gross charges for medically necessary and emergency care regardless of household income.
- Uninsured and underinsured patients may receive additional financial assistance discounts according to the chart below, based on household income as a percentage of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG)
Example: If you are uninsured with a family of 4 with income less than 50,200.00 per year you could receive 100% discount after the 25% of self-pay has been taken.
Example: If you are uninsured with a family of 4 with income less than 62,700.00 per year you could receive 50% discount after the 25% for self-pay has been taken.
Government & Community Programs
Our Patient Financial Advocates can assist you in determining if you might be eligible for Medicaid, Appalachian Healthcare Project, Purchase of Medical Care, Crime Victims Compensation, Vocational Rehabilitation, or other community, state or federal programs. These programs provide comprehensive coverage including prevention, primary care, hospitalization, prescription and other services for individuals, families and children. If you need a financial assistance application or information on these programs, please contact the Patient Financial Advocate at (828) 262-4413 or (828) 262-4110.
I have insurance coverage
If you have insurance, you may still qualify for a discount of 25% – 75% (after insurance) through financial assistance, based on household income. We encourage you to go ahead and apply for financial assistance below.
Uninsured and underinsured patients may receive additional financial assistance discounts according to the chart below, based on household income as a percentage of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG)
Example: If you are underinsured with a family of 4 with income less than 50,200.00 per year you could receive 75% discount after insurance.
Example: If you are underinsured with a family of 4 with income less than 62,700.00 per year you could receive 50% discount after insurance.
Appalachian Regional Healthcare System’s financial assistance program covers the following facilities:
- Watauga Medical Center
- Cannon Memorial Hospital
- ARMA offices:
- Appalachian Regional Internal Medicine Specialists
- AppUrgent Care
- Baker Center for Primary Care
- Boone Urology
- Davant Medical Clinic
- Elk River Medical Associates
- Harmony Center for Women
- Tate Clinic
- Watauga Surgical Group
- Wake Forest Physician Billing (Emergency Department)
The following service providers are NOT included under our program:
- Watauga Radiological Services
- Watauga Anesthesiology
- DJO Global
- Pathology providers
- Reference labs (Labcorp, Quest)
- Appointment no-show fees
If you have any questions, contact a patient representative at (828) 262-4111 or (828) 262- 4110.