ARHS offers several financial aid options to help you resolve your account balances. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, cash or checks. We offer 12-month interest free payment plans and a Healthcare Credit Card for longer term loans. We also offer help identifying other programs, discounts, and services for which you may qualify.
We understand medical bills are often unplanned and can be difficult to understand or pay. ARHS has Patient Financial Advocates who are professionally trained to assist with your financial questions.
| Contact Us:
Financial Assistance is available to those patients who are in need of help to pay their account. Assistance is based on the guarantor’s financial status. In order to determine this, the guarantor will need to complete a Financial Assistance application that includes, but is not limited to, proof of income and assets.
- Financial Aid Policy (0.1 MiB)
- Financial Assistance Application (0.1 MiB)
- Financial Assistance Program Plain Language Summary (0.1 MiB)
- Solicitud De Asistencia Financiera De ARHS (63 KiB)
How to receive financial assistance:
- Ask for a Patient Financial Advocate while you are a patient, or call (828) 262-4413, Monday-Friday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Complete a Financial Assistance Application.
- Download an application.
- Pick up an application at Watauga Medical Center, Cannon Memorial Hospital, or any of the offices of Appalachian Regional Medical Associates.
- Request an application be sent to you by mail. Call (828) 262-4110 or write to 155 Furman Road Suite 101, Boone, NC 28607.
- Return the application and all required documentation within the allotted time.
- ARHS will determine eligibility based on the application and supporting documents.
The Financial Counseling Department is also available to help patients who may have difficulty repaying their medical debts. Contact our Financial Counseling Department at (828) 262-4110.
Questions about your Bill or Patient Account
If you have questions about your bill or a patient account, please call (828) 262-4111 or you are welcome to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: When emailing our patient accounts department, please include a daytime phone number and tell us the best days and times when you can be reached. Our patient account representatives will call you rather than responding by email to ensure patient privacy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible?
- Uninsured and underinsured people who need emergency or medically necessary treatment and have a household income between 200% and 300% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG).
- When determining patients’ eligibility, Appalachian Regional Healthcare System does not consider race, gender, age, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or social or immigrant status.
- Eligible patients must submit a completed financial assistance application within 240 days (including all documentation required by the application) after ARHS provides the first post-discharge billing statement for the care. You may have to meet with hospital Patient Financial Advocates before receiving financial assistance.
What healthcare services are eligible?
- Financial assistance is provided only when care is considered medically necessary and after patients have met all eligibility requirements.
- Emergency or urgent care, services considered medically necessary by Appalachian Regional Healthcare System.
What is the discount amount?
- All uninsured patients will automatically receive a discount of 25% on gross charges for medically necessary and emergency care regardless of household income.
- Uninsured patients may receive additional discounts according to the chart below, based on household income as a percentage of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG)
What providers are covered?
- Appalachian Regional Healthcare System
- Watauga Medical Center
- Cannon Memorial Hospital
- Appalachian Regional Medical Associates
- Wake Forest Emergency Room Physicians
What providers are NOT covered?
- The Foley Center at Chestnut Ridge
- Watauga Radiology Associates
- Watauga Pathology Associates
- Watauga Anesthesiology
- DJO for medical devices not billable under eligible providers.