Heart Healthy Recipes - Honey Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Honey-glazed sweet potatoes
By Mayo Clinic staff | Serves 8
Dietitian's tip: Instead of topping canned sweet potatoes with a glaze and miniature marshmallows, this version uses fresh sweet potatoes and a lighter sweet coating, which brings out the flavor of the sweet potatoes and saves calories.
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into wedges
Cracked black pepper or chopped herb of choice (rosemary, sage or thyme), to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 9-by-13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- To make the sauce, in a small bowl add the water, brown sugar, honey and olive oil. Whisk until smooth.
- Place a single layer of sweet potatoes in the baking pan. Pour the sauce over the sweet potatoes. Turn to coat them.
- Cover and bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Turn the sweet potatoes once or twice to continue coating them. When tender, remove the cover and continue to bake until the glaze is set, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with pepper or chopped herb of choice. Serve immediately.
(per serving or 1/8th of recipe)
Calories: 149 Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 2 g Sodium: 42 mg
Carbohydrate: 31 g Fiber: 4 g
Total fat: 2 g Potassium: 553 mg
Saturated fat: < 1 g Calcium: 46 mg
Monounsaturated fat: 1 g
1/8th of recipe = 2 carbohydrate servings