AdFit, short for adolescent fitness, is a summer program to promote healthier lifestyles and reduce the risks associated with obesity, physical inactivity and Type 2 diabetes among adolescents. Through educational activity and assessments that encourage lifestyle changes in physical activity, regular exercise, proper nutrition and self esteem, AdFit is open to kids 9-12 years of age with a BMI over 85%.
The program runs June-August, Monday through Friday, 7:30am - 8am (drop off time) until 4pm.
(exact dates to be determined)
Cost: $80 per week/per child *Fee includes activities, field trips, lunches and snacks.
- 7:30am - 8am: Check-in/Breakfast
- 8am - 9am: Games/Travel Time
- 9am - 10am: Weight Training/Cardio
- 10am - 11am: Swimming/Pool Time
- 11am - 12pm: XRCADE
- 12pm - 1pm: Lunch
- 1pm - 2pm: Walk dogs at Humane Society
- 3pm - 4pm: Outside Games & Events
*Field trips, outings to local parks, hikes throughout Watauga County along with special events.
All activities and interventions are planned and supervised by professional AdFit Staff. Download the AdFit Brochure.
For more information or to register a child, contact:
Heather Casey at (828) 262-4158 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. AdFit is a summer program sponsored by Appalachian Regional Healthcare System.
2. Tentative program dates are June - August 2011. Dates are dependant on the county school schedule.
3. Program requirements are a BMI of >85th percentile. Any child that will be 9 years old by the program start date and will not be older than 12 by the program start may participate.
4. Program days are Monday - Thursday from 7:30 am to 4 pm. Cost ($80) includes snacks, lunch, field trips and activities. A limited number of scholarships are available.
5. Registration is required. A registration form will be available soon. Registrations will be accepted until all slots are filled.
6. Activities include swimming, hiking field trips to various places including bowling, golf lessons, Grandfather Mountain, team games, cooking classes, dance lessons and social support groups.