Short Term Skilled Care
Patients who can no longer care for themselves due to physical, emotional or mental conditions are cared for in short term skilled care. A physician supervises each patient's care, while licensed practical nurses, or LPNs and nursing assistants provide 24-hour care.
Skilled Nursing Care includes services of trained professionals that are needed for a limited period of time following an injury or illness:
- Wound care, changing dressings after a major surgery, or administering and monitoring I.V. antibiotics for a severe infection.
- Can no longer care for personal needs due to physical, emotional or mental problems.
- A physical therapist helping to correct strength and balance problems that have made it difficult for a patient to walk or get on and off the bed, toilet or furniture.
- A speech therapist helping a person regain the ability to communicate after a stroke.
- An occupational therapist helping a person re-learn independent self-care in areas such as dressing, grooming and eating
Services available include:
- 24 hour/day nursing care
- Respiratory Therapy Services
- Laboratory Services
- Radiology & Imaging Services
- Dietary Services, including nutritional assessment and counseling
- Rehabilitation Services -physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Pharmacy Services (medications needed during the stay, as well as individualized medication counseling as needed)
What is required for consideration for admission?
- Physician Referral
- A 3-day stay in an acute care facility (hospital) within the past 30 days.
- A member of the Medical Staff accepting the patient for skilled care
- Bed availability
- An anticipated stay of 7 to 10 days
For more information:
Cannon Memorial Hospital - (828) 737-7603