The Appalachian Regional Healthcare System career pathways department provides experiences to students enrolled in partnering schools who are interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. Even though most people think only of nurses and physicians when considering a career in the healthcare field, opportunities abound many areas, including the following:
|>To inquire about student opportunities at ARHS, contact
- Cardio Respiratory Therapy
- Laboratory Sciences
- Nutrition Services
- Information Technology
- Human Resources
- Rehabilitative Therapies
- Corporate Communications
As with nursing and physician practices, each of the areas include many different specialties.
Students interested in an educational experiences with ARHS must:
- Be enrolled in a school with whom the healthcare system has implemented and partnered on an affiliation agreement
- Complete an application and acceptance process for an approved educational experience to be administered through the career pathways department.
Available educational experiences within ARHS:
- Shadowing/observing experiences are available for students through referral or requirement of their healthcare curriculum in a partnering school. These educational experiences may be for four hours only or up to forty hours, dependent upon availability and student needs.
- An internship is an extended experience in practical applications of varying course curriculums and must be a requirement for class credit. It is through an internship that students gain “real world” experience and exposure to professional work behavior. The career pathways department works closely with each student for their individual requirements and needs during their educational experience in an intern role.
- Clinical experiences are also provided throughout ARHS. These educational opportunities provide students with hands on experience with patients with the supervision of a clinical instructor from the partnering school and an ARHS preceptor/designee.
The career pathways department of ARHS seeks to engage professional students in activities within their scope to enhance their learning experience. Please explore the links attached below to gain more information on a variety of healthcare career paths.
- Health Science Career Descriptions in NC This is a separate site, created and maintained by the CFNC (College Foundation of North Carolina).
- North Carolina Health Careers is a roadmap to becoming a healthcare professional in the NC area. Sponsored by the NC AHEC (Area Health Education Centers Program), their site will help you find all the information you need to prepare for your journey.
Appalachian Regional Healthcare’s Behavioral Health internship program offers students the unique opportunity to get hands on experience. The internship will allow students to rotate through different behavioral health services and will provide students with insight into the patient’s…read more